Monday, November 19, 2007

I was out-skinflinted

Skinflint: A miser, one who goes to extremes to save money.

So yesterday, I saw an old man raking leaves at a township hall across from the chapel. He put the leaves into two large plastic bags, and I went to ask him if I could have one of the bags of leaves to help feed my goat in the winter. I don't want my family to have to buy grain or hay, or rake the leaves ourselves.

The man replied that he re-used the bags - this was the third year he had used them. They were heavy plastic, and where they were torn he had repaired them with duct tape. So no leaves for me.

Link for the day:

Alice Brock, owner of "Alice's Restaurant", talks about taking what you have and making something amazing. Which is how she created Cream of Salt and Pepper Soup. Find the recipe and her insight here on NPR's show This I Believe.

No comments: